The Stevens County Commissioners
are vested by Kansas State Statute 19-212 with both legislative and administrative
powers and duties. These powers and duties include the following.
1. Supervision of county
2. Organization of township following statutory procedures
3. Control of the financial affairs of the county
4. Approval of the annual budget
5. Levying of county taxes
6. Designation of depositories for the County Treasurer
7. Construction and maintenance of county roads and bridges
8. Approval of land use and zoning policies for the county
9. Issuance of bonds
10. Awarding of contracts
11. Incorporation of cities
12. Creation of special districts
13. Setting of salaries of all county officials
14. Providing a jail, courthouse, office space, and supplies for all county
officers and the district court
15. Appointment of members of various boards and commissions
The Commission also serves
as the County Board of Canvassers for elections.
top of page
Time and Place of Meetings
The County Commission meets
every 1st and 3rd Monday of the month at 8:30 a.m. in the County Commission
Board Room located in the basement of the Stevens County Courthouse, 200 E. 6th, Hugoton, Kansas.
All meetings are open to the public.
top of page